Moving House Checklist
Although the reasons for moving home are usually positive, like moving to a larger property or a new job, however if the move itself has not been planned the move itself can be traumatic and stressfull. Use BG Removals Home Moving Tips to make the move go smoothly.
Before the move
You don't need to leave everything to the day before the move. Consider what you don't need to take as you are paying the removals company to move it, what will need careful packing, do you also need packing materials.
- Make a priority packing list of things you mostly need.
- Take some time to go through your belongings and have a clear-out. You can make up a box for charity and if you've time, hold a car boot sale or log onto an online auction site, then put the proceeds of your sold goods towards the cost of the move itself or treat yourself in your new home.
- Calculate how many boxes you will need and get these well in advance. buy boxes in a variety of sizes. Think about what else will be useful, such as strong tape, bubble wrap, and self-seal bags for keeping nuts and bolts together. Save old newspapers for packing fragile kitchen items into boxes.
- Don't completely fill large boxes, as they will be too heavy to move.
- Use strong packing boxes, particularly for heavier items, or your belongings may end up all over the pavement. Boxes made from corrugated cardboard are stronger than regular ones. BG Removals can supply you with good quality boxes.
- Put all hazardous materials, such as paint, bleach and aerosols, into a separate box and keep them away from the rest of your stuff.
Unless you travel light, you won't be able to unpack everything in the
first day, so it's worth deciding what you might need easy access to
soon after you cross the threshold of your new home.
- Pack a box of essentials for the first night in your new home and carry it with you. Instant access to coffee, tea, snacks, cups and a kettle may be welcome soon after you arrive. As will plates, utensils and a kitchen cloth.
- Prepare an overnight bag for everyone in the family, and make sure that there is enough toilet paper and toiletries for everyone.
- Other useful items that should be kept close to hand are a torch, a first-aid kit including pain relievers, pencil and paper, and re-closable plastic bags, along with a small tool kit.
- If possible, finish any laundry well before you move to avoid leaving them in the washing machine or packing damp clothes. Keep a separate box/bag for dirty washing.
Spend some time considering how you are going to pack your possessions. Books are easy but heavy, valuables need careful wrapping and will take time, and some furniture may need to be dismantled.
- Start early. Packing always takes longer than anticipated, particularly when you start reminiscing over old photographs stored in the attic or you realise that you need to dismantle the wardrobe to get it downstairs.
- Begin at the top of the house and move downwards. If you have an attic, it's a good idea to sort it out first.
- Always pack heavy items in small boxes. It will make transporting them easier. Also, keep the weight of all boxes to a minimum to avoid any back injuries.
- Pack one room at a time, clearly labelling each box with details of its contents and the room to which it needs going to. Clearly label boxes that contain breakables and also those that are load-bearing and can be stacked in the van.
- Keep all boxes for each room together. This will save time unpacking.
- It may sound obvious but pack heavier items on the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Any breakables should be wrapped in bubble wrap. Use clean tissue or wrapping paper for the first layer to prevent newspaper print leaving marks. Pillows and blankets are also useful for wrapping valuables and protecting furniture prone to dents and scratches.
- Pack important documents together, such as birth and marriage certificates, and keep them in a safe place.
Anything that we have not covered in our post contact us now on 07850-157-618 and BG Removals would be happy to give you answers to any further questions you may have, we also supply packing materials at competitive rates. Thanks for reading BG Removals Moving Tips hope you have a stress free move.